What exactly are old collections? When an account becomes severely past due, the account is turned over to collections by the creditor. This generally occurs between 60 and 180 days of being overdue. The creditor will either pass it on to their in-house collections department, or sell the debt to a an outside collection agency. The collection agency then become…
Don’t miss the latest news.
Sign up for our mailing list to stay up to date on current financial news and credit information. A smart consumer is an informed one!
- Should my old collections accounts be paid off first or focus on current debt?
- I have to pay a deposit on everything: What can I do to improve my credit?
- How do I ensure my extra payments are going to the principal and not interest?
- Why is my credit score different at all three reporting bureaus?
- How to prioritize your debt, the smart way